Wednesday, March 26, 2008

House Call

Last Thursday was the first day of Spring Break for the Bigs. Aaaaah. I get to sleep in. For three blissful weeks, I don't have to wake up when it's still dark, and try to drag kids out of bed and get them ready. I was SO looking forward to sleeping in on Thursday.........then along came Jack.
Jack enters my room at 6:30 am. I hear him, and feel him climb up on my bed, but keep my eyes closed. Jack leans over me and starts talking to me. I ignore him. Jack repeats. I ignore some more, and keep my eyes closed. I'm hoping if he realizes I'm not answering, he'll go back to bed. After playing this charade for a good fifteen minutes, I realize that I'm crazy. He's not going to shut up and go back to bed! WHY would I think he would go back to bed? Of COURSE he wakes me up early on the first day of break. I resign myself to getting up, and sit up in bed, to which Jack responds with "OOOOH MOM! YOU AWAKE!" I mumble something back under my breath, grab a tissue and blow my nose. Then I start coughing. Jack leans over in my lap and says "Mom, you got a cold? Or you got a hot?" I close my eyes, shake my head back and forth, to clear my ears, and say "What?" Again he repeats it..."You got a cold? Or you got a hot?" I look at him and start laughing. He says "Here, let me see" He then grabs my arm, puts his hand on it, feels it for a few seconds, literally THROWS my arm back down and says "Yep, you got a hot"
So, I guess my early morning wasn't a waste after all. Not only did I get a "wake up call" from a three year old, but I also got a house call and was diagnosed with "a hot." I'd better stop taking that cold medicine.....evidently I've been treating myself all wrong.

4 comments:

Reggs said...

HA HAA! Isn't it funny how kids see the world through new eyes? It wasn't until you told me that story that I was like, "yah, why DO they call it a cold?" Doesn't really make a lot of sense. I love little kids! In a way, it helps you to live life all over again.

Our Family said...

Lis!! This could be HUGE!!! I can see the headlines now! "Suburban mom and 3 year-old son invent new "Hot" medicine and is taking the world by storm" You should really market this Lis, you could be Billionaires!!! HAHA! Seriously, I love it when they say stuff like this, it reminds me of the time I told the boys "I MEAN IT! I'm not EVEN in the mood to play these games with you right now" (meaning their whining and complaining...)only to look at their extremely confused faces and realize they were thinking..."wait a minute, we were playing a GAME? I had no idea!" SO funny!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Awe!!! how sweet is that... he woves you! Now I want to know.. you guys get 3 weeks for spring break? Wow!!!

You know I understand that dogs and boys are two totally different things.... but I will admit... when Murphy comes in and stands by me and whines to go out... I do the same thing... maybe if he sees my eyes are closed he will go whine at someone else. I mean I'm in bed ... ya he doesn't leave... cause I'm the only person in the house who can let him out! RIGHT!!!

Give them boys a hug from me! I promise one day soon you will look back and say..... that all went way to quickly. Trust me on this one!
Annette

Anonymous said...

LOL.. Annette, I do the same thing with my dog every morning.. She sits by my bed and whine, I ignore her.. she whines some more.. I swear at her and tell her to go back to bed.. She whines some more, I finally feed her and let her out.

This is my morning routine. Good thing I don't have kids.