Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Entrepreneur


Noah tends to get along well with kids a little older than he is. He has a good friend that lives two houses down from us, that is in 7th grade. At first, I was hesitant, because the difference between a third grader and a seventh grader is HUGE. However, David is such a good kid, and he and Noah get along famously. A couple times a month, I let Noah ride his bike or scooter up to Wal-Mart with David. This is the highlight of his week when he goes. Cruising the 14 different aisles with $2 in his hand. See, the rule is, he has to take his own money that he has earned from allowance. Noah has been sliding on his chores, so for three weeks straight he has earned about 50 cents. This is absolutely pathetic, since if he just does his simple chores every day, he would earn $3.50 in a week, plus any bonus jobs he does. So, I thought I was teaching him such a grand "consequence" lesson the other day when he came in and asked to go to Wal-Mart with David.

Me: Well, I don't see any sense in you going, since you haven't done your chores forever and you have NO money to spend.

Noah: I have money.

Me: (making an assumption) No, you can not use David's money.

Noah: I have my own money that I earned.

Me: No, you haven't earned ANY money this week.

Noah: Yes I have, I just earned seven bucks.

Me: WHAT?

To sum it up, David and Noah decided to knock on neighbor's doors and offer to rake leaves. What do they charge, you ask? FOURTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR. Seven for David, seven for Noah. Together they are making more than I did at my first job out of college and he's only eight! And wouldn't you know, the first door they knocked on, they were hired. My neighbors are buying my kid out from underneath me! I suddenly imagine no chores ever done again! He really can't help it though, the poor kid is Mormon with Jewish blood. He was born to wheel and deal. Tight is his first name, cheap is his middle. He and David are already scheming up a window washing business for next summer. If you need a loan, call 1-800- bank-of-noah, I think he'll be able to retire before he hits high school!

3 comments:

Shar said...

Ha! that is so great! I'm so wondering how they came up with 14 dollars an hour:) A couple boys in my neighborhood were doing this too. Their mom was telling me that they charge 1 dollar per bag and at one house they did 10 bags. Way to go Noah!

Our Family said...

HOLY COW! I'm bringing Josh to your neighborhood to rake leaves! He can buy his own Christmas presents this year! :) How neat for Noah to figure that out though! You GO NOAH!

Ali said...

Classic. My old roommate used to be obsessed with money when she was a little kid. I mean LITTLE kid. Like by the age of like 3 or 4 she knew all the coins and what their values were. And then it was time to put that knowledge into action. She went door to door in her neighborhood and sold paper muffin cups to her neighbors. She told them that they could not only be used in the kitchen, but also as very decorative hats (no joke). After some neighbor felt sorry for the little girl forced to beg and gave her 25 cents, she went home and bragged to her mom about how much money she had made, much like Noah did to you. Man, I can't wait to have stories like that.