Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bad Boys, Bad Boys....Whatcha gonna do?


By this point in my motherhood career, I thought I was quite schooled in irrational childhood fears. Elijah was and still IS our irrational fear extraordinaire. Everything from lions in the basement, boogey men coming through a crack in the window pane, three headed dogs (Thank you, Harry Potter), and my personal favorite......the fear of pickles.
We now have a new one to add to the list, compliments of Jack.......the police. (Or powice as he calls them.) How on earth would a three year old develop the fear of police, you ask? Well, let me share. Joel TiVo's the show "Cops." (OK, ok, it's his white trash guilty pleasure, cut him some slack here.....my white trash guilty pleasure is People Magazine, but I digress...) One evening, Joel was watching "Cops" and Jack wandered into the room, climbed up on the bed, and began watching with him. It just so happens, that this episode of "Cops" was in New Orleans, during Mardi Gras. (I can already hear the gasps, and people running to their phones to turn us into Child Protective Services.....Cops is bad enough...but Cops in MARDI GRAS???!!) There were three great lessons for any kid to learn from this Cops episode. (Did I really just say that?)
1. No spitting
2. No peeing outside
3. No running around naked
We actually thought this little 30 minute "educational" TV show had done wonders when Jack was bouncing around from seat to seat in the van, and Joel promptly said, "Jack, if you don't put your seat belt on, the police can arrest you." He immediately stopped and said "Powice will awest me?" then jumped in his seat, and started screaming..."Quick, put my seat bewlt on, mom! Powice awest me!" Joel and I looked at each other and thought to ourselves..."WOW! Why didn't we try that line with Noah and Eli at this age?"
Fast forward about four weeks. Add to that four weeks, the jumbled thoughts of a three year old. Jack is now TERRIFIED of the police. He was in the back yard, jumping on the trampoline, and came in hysterically screaming "Powice coming to get me, powice coming to get me!" because he heard sirens outside. We've been telling him for two months what a big boy he is now, for going pee in the potty. He has somehow confused "Big boy" with "Bad boy" and thinks the "powice" are coming to get him because he's a big boy. He now gets up 4-5 times every night, shaking, sweating and crying that the police are coming to take him. I opened an e mail my mom sent me that was a safety video done by a Sheriff's office. As soon as the video started to play and Jack saw the Sheriff's deputy in uniform, he started crying and screaming. Last but not least, I couldn't get him in the tub last night, because he was afraid he was going to be arrested for being naked.
We have tried and tried to explain that the police are our friends. That they keep us safe, and get the bad guys. (In Jack's mind, insert "big boys" here) I talked until I was blue in the face about how it's OK to be naked in your HOUSE, but not outside. I've even checked out some children's books from the library about the police. But, I'm telling you, the kid won't budge. When it all started, it was cute and funny.......now it's controlling my days and nights. I'm beginning to hate the police, myself!
My last ditch effort is going to be to introduce Jack to my friend's husband. He's a SWAT Sargent and I'm hoping if I prime him with a cool toy ahead of time, Jack will be putty in his hands. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. In the mean time, no spitting, no peeing outside, no running around naked, and for heavens sake, PLEASE wear your seat belt!


6 comments:

Chelsea said...

ROTFL. It's a good thing Jack wasn't with me in the car yesterday morning then! I got pulled over on the freeway for an HOV Violation--which I ended up not getting since I did have Henry with me and the cop just couldn't see him. Poor Jack would have had a coniption fit! Too funny... Hopefully it doesn't affect his status as potty trained, though.

Our Family said...

Seriously Lisa, if Jack was mine and I had that picture of him I would blow it up to Giganto size and put it somewhere in my house for all to see. He is SO STINKIN' CUTE!!! Those brown eyes are KILLING me! I think Sam went through a "scared of cops" phase for a little while, but not as bad as that. Poor little guy! I think your idea of the cop with the toy is brilliant! I'm dying to know if it works! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

My favorite cousin Lisa...your stories about your boys crack me up! I miss you all and would definitely love to see some of this first hand haha =) love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have to tell you... your blogs are always good for a great laugh! Nothing like a house full of boys. I took something out of Bruce's book of teaching once... I had a firebug in our house and dragged him over to the fire station and had them talk to him about starting fires. It worked!

Keep on being a great Mom! Tell Joel we watch Cops too! Must be a Nielsen thing! White trash!! hahahaha! Remind me to tell you the story of "white trash" some day! Love you all!! Annette

Danika said...

Oh Lis, this is just hilarious! I can totally see Jack doing this but not wanting to take a bath because the police are going to arrest him is what takes the cake. Hmmm, cake sounds good now that I think of it. Anyway, let us know how your meeting with the law goes. Hopefully it will help :) Didn't know he had a fear of pickles. Is that because they go tickle tickle?

Reggs said...

I am afriad of showering, too! I'm afriad the cops will come and arrest me for "threatening fat rolls that are a danger to the community."
I have seen poor Jack's fear first hand. It is SO sad to see his big bottom lip curl out and the sad little voice saying, "mom, the powice are coming!"