Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Semantics


A quick funny story.....just so I don't forget it years from now.
This month, we had the opportunity to see THREE missionaries off to their missions from Joel's family. First Whitney entered the Missionary Training Center (MTC), to learn Spanish and then serve in the Rochester, NY mission (Spanish Speaking). She'll be working in the visitors center there. Then, five days later, Joel's parents entered the MTC for a week of training before heading off to Morristown, NJ, where they will serve in the mission office for 18 months, and also volunteer at the Manhattan Temple. So, a few days before we are going to see Whitney off, I am explaining to Elijah our plans for the week. This is how the conversation went:
Me: So, then on Wednesday, we are going to get dressed in our church clothes, and drive down to Provo, where we will see Whitney off to the MTC, and then she'll start her mission!

Eli: So, Whitney is going on her mission this week?

Me: Yes! She'll go to the MTC to learn Spanish first, and then she'll go to her mission.

Eli: So......she's serving her mission where there are no scary fish?

Me: WHAT?

Eli: There's no fish where Whitney is going to serve her mission?

Me: (more confused) WHAT are you talking about?

Eli: Well, you said that she's going to the EMPTY SEA!

Me: (trying hard not to burst out laughing) Ooooh! Eli...the "M" "T" "C"....Misisonary Training Center.

Eli: Oooooh! I'm a dork.

Then Noah asked his question.....

Noah: Sooooo, basically everybody who speaks Spanish comes from New York?

Me: What?

Noah: Well, isn't that why Whitney has to learn Spanish to serve her mission....because all Spanish people come from New York?

So......good luck to our missionaries. May you be surrounded with all the people who speak Spanish, and have no scary fish to deal with!

1 comment:

Our Family said...

I LOVED THIS! They are so cute! How clever is he to put two and two together..."empty sea" that's hilarious!!

Okay, so I think I promised I wouldn't pressure you, and I think you mentioned that you wouldn't update very often but I gotta tell ya, it's KILLING ME! I'm going back on my word, I can't be trusted and I just need more updates from one of my very best friends!! Love ya!