Monday, July 21, 2008

The Singing Children Of Africa


We found out yesterday that we get to host two children from Africa for four days! They are coming to perform with their group "The Singing Children of Africa." A lot of them are orphans, all of them live in extreme poverty. Many live in mud huts. This is the very first time they have ever been to the US. Right now, they are in the UK doing some performances, then they come here on July 31. We are SO excited and know this will be a fantastic experience for everyone involved. I spoke with the coordinator and she told me that their favorite food is chicken and rice, or chicken and "chips" (fries). We got to request how many children we will host, their gender, and peferrable ages. This was my chance to balance the scales a little with some more girls in the house, but guess what.....I told them we would take two boys. I figured they would have a blast with my boys and vice versa. We are just so excited to experience all their new experiences here through their eyes. Running water, toilets, air conditioning! We are going to take them to the pool and water slides, and probably a good ol' American baseball game. What else would you do with them?
You can read about their program here. I'll post more info as I receive it!

3 comments:

Shar said...

Oh my gosh that sounds so awesome! What an experience! I hope I get to meet them! How fun!

Katrina said...

I love it! I know that they will have a fantastic time - you are a party in a box.

Here is my horrible confession. While reading your blog about this I was having flash-backs of South Park when Cartman hosts an African Child. "This is an appetizah. Iz what we eat befo we eat . . ."

I know, I'm horrible, horrible horrible and going to a very hot place someday.

Reggs said...

You guys will be the BEST hosts! An experience that they will surely never forget. :) Can't wait to meet them.