Monday, January 28, 2008

An Amazing Man


Last night I was at work, when our clerk came back and told us that she just heard President Hinckley had passed away. "WHAT? What did you say?" I couldn't believe it! Yes, I know he was 97 years old, but like my Grandpa Chesser, I expected him to live forever. What an amazing man he was. I adored his sense of humor. What he did to bring the Church forward in the public eye is unmatched by any other. His many interviews with Mike Wallace, Larry King, and others really educated the nation about Mormonism. Suddenly, it wasn't this odd religion anymore. I have such love for him. When I would listen to him speak and he would say "I love you brothers and sisters"....I truly felt that he did. He counseled tolerance between all people over and over again. On the news last night, they interviewed leaders of other faiths concerning his death. It was amazing to see these leaders of the Jewish, Baptist, and Catholic faiths, that all said "I considered him a good friend and a great man. He meant what he said. He did wonderful things for all people all over the world. He was a great humanitarian." He will be missed, but I have no doubt that he is blissfully happy, walking side by side with Majorie once again.....probably still cracking jokes about how old he lived to be.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I think that his humor is what I'll miss the most as well. I never felt chastised by him, but encouraged to do better. He would be the kind of person who liked everyone, and could see the clouds we each deal with, and forgive us for the rotten things we do because of it. I'm glad I got to have him through college, mission, marriage, and kids. Monson will also do great, and he's such a humanitarian as well, that he will slip easily into those footsteps. Way to drop in the saddle. Hinckley wore out his life in service.