Saturday, September 22, 2007

WHAT did he say?


Last Sunday, Elijah was asked to give the opening prayer in Primary. I teach Eli's class every other week, and this was my fortunate week to be in there and witness the angelic words of children. For those of you who know Eli, he is not shy. Another thing he is not, is quiet. I have no idea where he would get a loud voice, but somewhere, that gene came barreling through. We sing the opening song of "I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus" and then Elijah procedes to the stand, complete with microphone. (Which he would NEVER need) He folds his arms, bows his head, and begins his prayer. "Heavenly Father, we're thankful for this day. We're thankful for Primary, and for our techers. Please bless us with the Spirit. Please bless us to be good in our classes, and PLEASE bless us to do our chores good, and not half a*sed." Yep, that's what that little six year old darling said (minus the asterisk). I IMMEDIATELY feel my face burning up. I open one eye as little as I can and look to my right. There,I see one of my friends covering her mouth and literally convulsing in her chair from laughter. I didn't have the guts to look anywhere else in the room, so I just closed my eyes again and said my own little prayer that people would think he said "ASKED." After he finishes his prayer, I immediately bend down and start digging through my diaper bag, as if I'm looking for something. I am.......a hole to crawl into. I keep up this charade for a good five minutes. I figure if people don't see me reacting to his words, then they'll just think they heard him wrong, right? I mean, never mind the fact that the kid speaks plain as day and had a microphone boosting his already 120 decibel voice. After church while sitting at the dinner table. I say "Hey, Eli, you gave a great prayer....loud and clear, buddy! But that word you used is a bad word, and we don't use it....ESPECIALLY in a prayer." Eli asks "What word?" I reply "You know, that "a" word.....the one about doing your chores." He looks at me with this quizzical look on his face like "REALLY? Who knew!?" shrugs his shoulders, and says "OK, I won't. Thanks, Mom." Oh, my little man. You keep me on my toes and I sure love you, dirty prayers and all.

6 comments:

Our Family said...

HA HA HA! I am laughing hysterically right now. How HILARIOUS is HE!!! I LOVE that kid! :)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA now that is funny!!! Somehow Lisa I see people in our family who have died long ago whose genes might just be apart of Eli. HAHAHAHAHA!!! You have to just laugh. That is as good as when Bryan was riding his bouncy horse... and going up and down all the while saying... DAM DAM DAM!!!! Mike just looked at me and said.... He didn't learn that from ME!!

Stucki Family said...

Okay, I feel so much better about all our disasters at church. Kids are so funny. I had a very good laugh.

Brooke

Anonymous said...

I wonder if God was like, "Right on, little man. Right on."

You gotta love little kids who speak from the heart. He wasn't repeating some memorized prayer, he truly wanted everyone to do their chores with gusto. :D

Chelsea said...

ROTFL. That is just hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this story. Eli is just the coolest kid ever. Somehow this story doesn't surprise me in the least.


This being Utah, if the neighbors kids aren't allowed to come over anymore, you know why... hehehe